Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Retro '71

 

Welcome back to Designerland and a new Retro '71 concept. It seems out of the ordinary that I post a shirt concept during the week but today's special. Why is it special? Well one of my followers on twitter challenged me. They simply asked if I would come up with a shirt that celebrated the Sunshine Tree Terrace's Citrus Twist (which was just recently brought back to the vacation kingdom of the 
world after popular demand).




I decided to incorporate both the Orange Bird and this tropical twisted dessert in one design along with the original Walt Disney World Resort logo and the Sunshine Tree Terrace sign. I was happy that I got to do a bit of font finding for the display font seen in the Terrace's sign. Finishing the design off is our loved (not overused) vintage distressing. 


So what do you guys think? Well have a good rest of your week, it's almost over and I'll see you back real soon. Thanks for stopping by!

15 comments:

  1. Love love love this shirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this so much! It would look so nice with my Dole Whip shirt! I adore the Orange Bird!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Orange Bird and the shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously...why hasn't Disney realized what sort of gold they have in your designs/mentality? Limited releases of these types of products would be irresistible to Disneyphiles. I'm sure people would pay $50-75 for a shirt like this, especially if it were a limited production. I NEVER spend more than a few bucks on a t-shirt, yet snapped up the tiki shirt within minutes of seeing it. All that to say: Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments. Don't blame Disney, they are aware of my blog and my position on apparel. It's hard when the product is kitsch niche. Targeting only Disneyphiles can be a good thing and also a bad thing. Think about how many first time vacationears wouldn't grasp the power of a shirt based on the Electrical Water Pageant or If You Had Wings? There has to be a happy balance when it comes to targeting various demographics. That's not to say there's not a place for concepts like the ones seen here however but I'll save that for another time. Thanks again for the nice comments.

      Delete
  5. Wow! This is so much better than the crud D23 is putting out with my little orange bird on it! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I NEED this. Much cuter than the ones Disney already made last year!! Is it possible that Disney would let you produce these under a license or buy the rights?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones in the parks were actually designed by my friends and are really nice. Sadly Disney doesn't license out theme pak merchandise, even if they did I could never afford the fee...i imagine it'd be close to what Disney consumer products charges which is a lot!!! Anyway thanks for the compliments on my work and look for new designs of mine comming to the parks soon!

      Delete
    2. Can I buy this shirt anywhere for my daughter in law. she is so excited about the Orange Bird coming .

      Delete
  7. proper citrus swirl comes in a cup, not a cone and since there arent any orange bird shirts to be had, i made my own. cup says "since 1971" with mickey globe head pattern behind the text.

    http://i.imgur.com/rEMAF.png

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flattering but it comes in both options and there is no "proper" way just preference. It would of been nice to see a new composition and not just a copy of mine. Cute though.

      Delete
  8. Any chance I'll find this on TeeFury or a similar site any time soon?

    ReplyDelete