Sunday, March 11, 2012

Retro '71


Welcome back to another edition of Retro '71. Can you believe since I started Designerland this concept makes the 44th tee shirt design to be showcased. That's a lot of shirts. Needless to say I have about another 30 that are already done and waiting in the wings. I'm really excited to showcase some of my other concepts I have floating around in my head.

For this weeks design I was inspired by vintage Disney vinyl. To be more specific Walt Disney World's Electrical Water Pageant album art. There's nothing mind blowing about this weeks design in terms of concept. I simply recreated the album art as close to the original. . .one of the display fonts was either hand created or lost in time because I couldn't track it down and had to swap it out for a House Industries font. I feel the House Industries font comes pretty close in style.




Finishing the design off I used some new textures I made that have an old ink/block print look to them.



In the end it only took 3 hours (hey, I had to do bit of font hunting) and I'm really pleased with how it turned out. Yet another shirt that I'd be more than happy to drop 30 bucks on if I saw it in the parks. So what do you guys think? Well tune in next week, I promise those Main Street Typography Case Studies will be happening soon, just have to finish up some other fun projects outside Designerland.
As always thanks for stopping by and see you soon!

14 comments:

  1. I love all your designs, but this was the first one I was depressed about once I realized it was only a concept & not available for immediate ordering. Great job, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliments. Yes I have a lot of people who have to pretend window shop here at Designerland. Who know, Disney may like it and want to buy the vector from me...a girl and boy and wish can't they!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is Disney not buying all of your stuff? Your designs are levels beyond anything Disney actually has for sale in the parks. Love your site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My designs are targeted toward certain demographics so I can understand why a first time vacationear wouldn't snatch up some of my concepts. My designs are very kitsch niche.

      Delete
    2. I agree that they aren't going to catch the interest of a first time visitor and it would be tough for Disney to print these in different sizes in fairly low quantities (compared to the rest of their merchandise). But there's got to be a way to offer these for sale for the many fans who would buy them. Maybe online only? Or a print-on-demand solution? Disney's been very successful at getting every last dime from visitors. Why let a golden opportunity get away?

      Delete
  4. YES. I want this one so much! Great work (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. i would LOVE to be able to buy this shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. As of right now all of the concepts you see on Designerland are just concepts in my goal of one day working for Disney, kinda like a portfolio blog.

      That's not to say none of them will ever get printed, the Disney Design Group and some at D23 have taking a liking to my stuff and have hired me out for freelance work as well as a few other vendors who work in tangent with Disney Theme Parks so some of my stuff will be coming to a park nearest you. Stay tuned in to Designerland for updates or follow me on twitter.

      Delete
  7. Whoa. I don't even LIKE the Electrical Water Pageant, but I'd TOTALLY buy this shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this one too! For me, please. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was on the Disney College Program as a Magic Kingdom park greeter earlier this year. I saw the Water Pageant five times a week for five months - it is now near and dear to my heart. I liked this design before my experience as a cast member, but now I want it so much more! Disney, would you please please please make this shirt a reality?

    I love your work. I'm studying graphic design in the hopes of joining Imagineering. You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete