Sunday, June 19, 2011

Retro '71


I'd like to start of this week’s post by saying thanks once again to all my readers who have bought the Tiki Pineapple Whip shirt. There's only one week left to order! If you know anyone who might be interested in buying one, please let them know. I would feel bad if someone contacted me after this upcoming Friday wanting one. Please hit Twitter, various message boards, forums and other blogs letting them know that this upcoming week IS the last week the shirt will be available!
Some of you have expressed interest in wanting to know how it's going, and I will say extremely well. After I stop taking orders, I'll share more information on how many were sold and whatnot. Now onto this week’s post.
Walt Disney was said to be a man who had one foot in the past and one foot in the future. For this week’s Retro '71 design, I took that phrase to heart and started looking ahead. I've created a shirt for the 50th Anniversary of Walt Disney World. The design is based on one of the Tencennial logos created for the Walt Disney World Resort back in 1981. I absolutely love this Tencennial logo and remember seeing it while attending the celebration. Something about the logo just speaks to me as it evokes the feel of that in-between, transitional era from the 70’s into the 80's.


For the design, I tracked down a font that was similar to the one used for the logo. The actual logo was probably hand-created because I couldn't find the exact font the designers used. It's a simple two color design in water-based blue ink with a tinted discharge cream, plus we’ve added some slight distressing.


I know we're just now celebrating 40 years of magical fun, but I always like to plan ahead. Even though my designs are based on the past, I love looking toward the future. I know this won't be the direction the design group will take for branding the 50th, but this is Retro '71's way of branding and honoring the celebration even if it is 10 years away!


Well that does it for this week’s Retro '71 concept. Since the D23 painting is almost done, I’ll soon get back into the normal routine of this blog and will continue my typography case studies in just one more week. I also have another soundboard app coming soon. Thanks for visiting and have a great week!