Sunday, September 16, 2012

Trader Jack's


Welcome back to another Designerland post--I hope you all had a great weekend! This week, I'd like to share a thought. Now it’s nothing new or original, just once again dusting off the past for the fans of today! After last week’s Polynesian Resort type post, I received some emails from readers who really enjoyed the case study, so I decided to roll out this concept today for us Poly fans.

With the ever-growing popularity of Disneyland's Trader Sam's, I feel that TDO and WDI should seriously consider bringing something similar to the east coast, now that the Adventurers Club is gone. Some of you may recall that Disney World once had a tropical-themed dive located at the Polynesian Resort--Trader Jack's Grog Hut! I, for one, would love to see Disney roll out a similar, updated Tiki bar based on the long-forgotten Trader Jack's...new menu, new look, new gags but the same vibe.




Personally, I wish they would just bring Trader Jack's back to the Polynesian Resort. It could also fit in at Downtown Disney where there is more traffic passing through, but with the ever in-flux state of DTD and what once was Pleasure Island, I'm not sure how well it would work in that locale. Regardless of where it turns up, it could be the east coast’s version of Trader Sam's.


With that said, here are a few merchandise concepts I worked up for this hypothetical Tiki bar. One apparel concept displays a logo I came up with (in an off-set matchbook print look) that draws inspiration from the original Polynesian Village/Resort logo. The second apparel concept is just something whimsical and wacky, hence the display font.





Now no good Tiki bar is complete without the option to take home a Tiki mug, so I combined the two main Polynesian Tiki icons into one to create the Kapu Cup. If I could have only one Tiki mug in my collection, I would want something similar to this.




Well that's all for this week. Hope you enjoy the concepts and thanks for stopping by. Have a great week and see you all real soon!