Saturday, September 3, 2011

Healthy Obsession


I've been rather obsessed with the Dole Pineapple whip that I thought it was time to try another Disney Park must: The Mint Julep in order to see what all the fuss was about.

During my time at Disneyland (during the D23 Expo weekend) I had time to experience this tasty brew. It was love at first sip! I was and still am obsessed. I may have drank 10 while in the park over a 3 day time frame. I knew when I came home that I needed to try to make this tasty concoction on my own.

I googled a fair few recipes and narrowed it down to one. It needed a bit of retooling but I think I have a good mixture that comes pretty close. Not 100% but close enough to whisk me back to New Orleans Square every time I take a sip.

Below is the recipe:

Ingredients
16 oz plastic cups
2 lemons
Maraschino cherries (with stems)
Toothpicks
Long plastic drinking straws
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
6 Tablespoons water
2 1/2 Tablespoons lime juice
1-12 oz can of frozen lemonade concentrate
13 Tablespoons of Creme de Menthe syrup (I used Reeses brand)

In saucepan over medium heat mix sugar and water until sugar is dissolved. Remember to keep stirring, burnt sugar is tough to get out of saucepan!

Add in lime juice, lemonade (thawed), and creme de menthe. Raise temp and stir... be sure not to boil the mixture. Use a candy thermometer to ensure mixture does not boil.

Take off heat and cool.

While mixture is cooling slice your lemons and place on toothpick with a cherry.

Fill cups half full with ice. Mixture should begin to slightly thicken in saucepan.

Add 3 - 4 Tablespoons to each cup. I used 4 Tablespoons and thought it was a touch sweet but I enjoy it like that, not to mention once the ice melts it counterbalances the flavor.

Fill cups with water and stir.

Add fruit garnish and two straws and enjoy.

Note: I bought a glass olive oil jar with spout to store my mint syrup in for later use.

Let me know how it turns out and if you have some of your own alterations to the recipe let me know. Always up for fine tuning.