Sunday, June 3, 2012

Retro '71


Welcome back to Designerland and another fun-filled Retro '71 shirt concept. This week’s post is a special three-for-one that I hope you'll all enjoy.

When WED Enterprises started dreaming and scheming up the Walt Disney World Resort, Imagineers had dreamed of 5 home-away-from-home domiciles that surrounded the Kingdom: The Contemporary Resort, The Polynesian Village, The Asian Resort, The Venetian Resort and lastly, The Persian Resort. Sadly, the latter three never saw it past the model phase within the halls of 1401 Flower Street. Various sites have already documented the history of the "Resorts that Never Were" and if you'd like to find out more about these resorts, I suggest you take a look here, here and here.


Much like I did with the shirt series for the faux real estate companies that purchased the land for the Walt Disney World Resort, I decided I would try coming up with logos for these “lost” resorts. I'm sure somewhere in the halls of WDI, in some flat file, there may be some concept renderings of logos for the resorts. Seeing how I don't have access to that type of stuff I just decided to use my imagination...after all, imagination is the heart of all creation, right? I tried focusing on simple iconography mixed with display fonts that I felt carried the story of each resort. The real trick was trying to get them to stylistically flow with the Contemporary and Polynesian Village's original logos.



The shirt colors and ink colors are derived from color combinations that are true to the countries these resorts were themed around. An homage to ideas that never made it, but should have....


Well that does it for this week’s special post. Tune in next week for the final Main Street Type Case Study I've been promising you. Have a great week and see you all soon.

15 comments:

  1. I really wish they would have built the Asian instead of the Grand Floidian. Hell, they should have just built all of these for that matter.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Hahaha, not for sale. Just some jaunty concepts I've been dreaming up for some time.

      Delete
  3. Very cool! I like these "resorts that never were" (or phase II resorts ) enough that I did a page on them on the "history in postcards" site a while back and I really think you've captured the graphic design of that time quite well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific designs for sure.

    By the way, thanks for supplying Shane over at Parkeology the answer to the mysterious WCS letters on Snow White's Scary Adventures. West Coast Scenic...we have been trying to figure out what those initials meant for quite awhile now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments. Yeah I met a guy here in Indy a few years back that who worked at WCS, he was a mural painter...it was odd, I was just searching the net for Imagineering and Indianapolis when I found his website/portfolio and I emailed him. He said he worked at WCS doing murals and whatnot before moving back to the midwest. When I read Shane's post I remembered seeing both Snow White and Peter Pan in that guys portfolio. Crazy, right!?!?! Anyway, glad I could help shine some light on the mystery.

      Delete
  5. ........The ASIAN RESORT would have been so beautiful. As the WDW RR skirts the outlaying rim of Adventureland.....the GRAND FLORIDIAN comes into frame between gaps in the jungle vegetation........the original Imagineers KNEW the property for the Asian Resort would be visible from Adventureland.......and how nice it would have been to see the Asian architecture from Adventureland.......like a distant exotic Asian palace. The PERSIAN would have been visible from areas of Fantasyland and too, would have been nice. I think the Venetian, a nice idea...would have been too close to the Contemporary and the TTC.

    My dream Walt Disney World still has 20,000 leagues Under the Sea, The Plaza Swan Boats, Fort Wilderness Railroad, and the WESTERN RIVER EXPEDITION is an old favorite with guests. I love eating BBQ at Mesa Terrace while watching the runaway mine trains of Thunder Mesa race around it's canyons. Over at EPCOT CENTER Horizons has been updated several times as well as the ending to MEET THE WORLD over at the Japan Pavilion. We always have to ride The German Rivers Cruise before having lunch at the German Pavilion. When you disembark the WDW RR at the Tomorrowland Station, you can faintly see the tip of the Persian Resort's giant dome roof beyond the Skyway's turn-tower. The Asian Resort and The Persian are still some of the most popular hotels in the Vacation Kingdom.

    Hope to see your Resorts shirts for sale soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the compliments mike! Our wdw's are pretty much the same. There's some fun designs I have in the wings I think you'll enjoy once I post them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty sure it was the Contemporary Hotel at opening...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually called the Contemporary Resort Hotel at opening but that was too much of a mouth full so they got rid of the Hotel part. I'm just glad they didn't stick to the original name, Tempo Bay Hotel.

      Delete
  8. I saw concept drawings for the Venetian, and they were spectacular. A gent I met at work training has concept sketches.

    You sure you're not gonna sell these? Minus the WDW logos, man, I'd buy the Venetian and the Persian in a HEARTBEAT

    ReplyDelete