Sunday, April 3, 2011

Retro 71



This week’s Retro 71 shirt concept is based on the 1989 Walt Disney World Resort ticket art. I remember this particular design among others from my childhood, from a time before the key card tickets came into play. I always enjoyed the iconography of the tickets, so what better place to appropriate these designs than for the Retro 71 line. 


The color palette is taken from a ticket from a later date, but the design remained the same. The muted teal greens and washed-out creams remind me of how the tickets would look toward the end of our vacations: highly used with lots of wear and tear. I always enjoyed the paper/cardstock Disney used for the older tickets. By the end of our trips, the paper would become soft from wear and the cotton fibers would begin to pill. With that in mind, I added some aging and distressed textures to the design. 


Well that does it for this week’s Retro 71 installation. The apparel line is really taking shape, and judging by the responses from readers, I think it could be a huge success. Thanks for stopping by and have a good week. Make sure to come back this week—I have a special treat in store. See you soon!