Sunday, September 16, 2012

Trader Jack's


Welcome back to another Designerland post--I hope you all had a great weekend! This week, I'd like to share a thought. Now it’s nothing new or original, just once again dusting off the past for the fans of today! After last week’s Polynesian Resort type post, I received some emails from readers who really enjoyed the case study, so I decided to roll out this concept today for us Poly fans.

With the ever-growing popularity of Disneyland's Trader Sam's, I feel that TDO and WDI should seriously consider bringing something similar to the east coast, now that the Adventurers Club is gone. Some of you may recall that Disney World once had a tropical-themed dive located at the Polynesian Resort--Trader Jack's Grog Hut! I, for one, would love to see Disney roll out a similar, updated Tiki bar based on the long-forgotten Trader Jack's...new menu, new look, new gags but the same vibe.




Personally, I wish they would just bring Trader Jack's back to the Polynesian Resort. It could also fit in at Downtown Disney where there is more traffic passing through, but with the ever in-flux state of DTD and what once was Pleasure Island, I'm not sure how well it would work in that locale. Regardless of where it turns up, it could be the east coast’s version of Trader Sam's.


With that said, here are a few merchandise concepts I worked up for this hypothetical Tiki bar. One apparel concept displays a logo I came up with (in an off-set matchbook print look) that draws inspiration from the original Polynesian Village/Resort logo. The second apparel concept is just something whimsical and wacky, hence the display font.





Now no good Tiki bar is complete without the option to take home a Tiki mug, so I combined the two main Polynesian Tiki icons into one to create the Kapu Cup. If I could have only one Tiki mug in my collection, I would want something similar to this.




Well that's all for this week. Hope you enjoy the concepts and thanks for stopping by. Have a great week and see you all real soon!


8 comments:

  1. I would totally wear both of these shirts, drink from that grog, and hang a poster of your teaser image at my desk.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard, you know the tikiphiles love you. LOVE the mug. Now we just need someone to make it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I actually sourced a vendor who could make it, I'd have to change the design a bit but it would cost me about $15,000 to do a run. I don't have that change laying around. hahaha.

      Delete
    2. Tiki Farm just had a mug design contest. Darn, I wish I had brought it up befor it ended last week!,

      Delete
  3. I know this is an old thread, but I'm just wondering....is this a "Bar That Never Was" concept? Or are you maybe remembering Captain Cook's Hideaway?

    Trader Jack's Grog Hut has always been the Liquor/sundries store at the Polynesian Resort, and it still is to this day (although they dropped the "Grog Hut").

    At any rate, I dig your blog and your work. And I've missed your Dole Whip Shirts twice now...I definitely need to subscribe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually trader jacks was suppose to be a real bar within the Polynesian village, it never came to be. The concept for this post actually came from reading a pre opening brochure about the resort. Instead when the resort actually opened they had a different bar with bands and what not, not so much tiki bar as a lounge. Instead trader jacks turned into a sundries store then finally a liquor store as it is today in the great ceremonial hall. Now this could be a case of Disney early wishful thinking and marketing getting overly jealous in their description of the resort, needless to say the brochure reads as if the Polynesian village was to have 3 bars, one by the pool, one that was a lounge with acts and the other a tiki bar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brochure actually called the bar captain jacks, so this could be a case of name swaps and trader jacks became the sundries and captain cooks became the bar

      Delete